Thursday, May 1, 2008

MySQL and Ubuntu - a perfect match

I like Ubuntu's philosophy. Among the Debian derived Linux distros, it's the one that appeals to me the most. The first live CDs (Knoppix, Mepis) were a revolution, but Ubuntu has perfected the trend by adding a quality that was missing from these early ones.
I especially like the ease of installation. Plug to the net, apt-get install package_name, and presto! you got what you want.
MySQL server comes with just one line:
apt-get install mysql-client mysql-server
This will get you the latest server and client binaries, ready to use.
Yesterday I wanted to build MySQL 5.1 from source. The latest one (5.1.24) that has been released is missing the Federated engine, and I wanted the complete thing. So I installed Ubuntu in a spare machine, and got the source code from the development tree.
By default, Ubuntu does not ship with a compiler, and the manual lists quite a lot of requirements to get the ball rolling. In Ubuntu, installing the recommended building tools is as easy as:
apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool bison byacc libncurses5-dev
After this command, to compile a complete server, you type:
cd where/you/downloaded/the/source/tree
./BUILD/compile-pentium-max
And it works without a glitch. Could it be easier than that?
On a side, but not entirely unrelated note, after Sun's acquisition, I suspect that Solaris will play a more important role with MySQL. I have little experience with Solaris, but surely it isn't as easy as Ubuntu. I wonder if there is an equivalent in Solaris to the above apt-get command. Any takers?

No comments: